"Everything so dark & mysterious, going to be a great European war" Read the full letter
Isabella J. Clemes was a Mathematics teacher and a graduate of Newnham College, Cambridge. A member of the Men and Women’s Club, Clemes gave a paper to the Club in January 1886 on the meaning of morality, in which she argued that morality concerned “both ‘social duties’ ‘(to others)’ and ‘individual duties’ ‘(to the laws of nature as they concern himself alone)’.” (Bland 2001: 23). Clemes, like Schreiner, left the Club fairly early on. It is possible that some letters were exchanged between Schreiner and Clemes, although none have been traced.
For further information see:
Lucy Bland (2001) Banishing the Beast: Feminism, Sex and Morality London: Tauris Parke Paperbacks
- University College London: Special Collections at UCL is one of the leading university collections of manuscripts, archives and rare books in the UK. It... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- Karl Pearson 840/4/2/1-3:Dear Mr Pearson, In the hurry of going down to Brighton & other business I have quite forgotten to say that I must be qui...
- Karl Pearson 840/4/2/63:Thanks for letting me know you didn’t want to be interrupted just now. I am reserving my notes on the sex question till...
- University of Cape Town, Historical Manuscripts: Manuscripts & Archives at the University of Cape Town is a leading location for accessing archival papers across many per... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- Olive Schreiner BC16/Box11/Fold2/Undated/60:Llandrindodd Wells, Friday, Thanks for your letter, dear. I am always getting anxious about the boy when I don’t hear f...