"Dinizulu, my boy Jim" Read the full letter
Maggie Rolland was the wife of Schreiner’s cousin Emile Rolland. Schoeman speculates that Lilly in Schreiner’s story ‘Diamond Fields’ and the woman who married Albert Blair in Undine, may have been based on Maggie Rolland, although the evidence for this is unclear.
For further information see:
Karel Schoeman (ed, 1987) The Recollections of Elizabeth Rolland with Various Documents on the Rolland Family Cape Town: Human & Rousseau
Karel Schoeman (1991) Olive Schreiner: A Woman in South Africa 1855-1881 Johannesburg: Jonathan Ball, p. 190
- Cullen Library, Historical Papers, University of Witwatersrand: Historical Papers in the Cullen Library is a leading location for accessing archival papers across many periods, organisation... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- Findlay Family A1199/1226a:Hermon, August 4th 1871, My dearest Katie!, I have just received your letter dated the 4th of May, so it has been just three ...
- Findlay Family A1199/4457:9 Porchester Place, Edgeware Rd, London W. , Feb 3rd 1920, Dear Bessie, You've never answered my last letter, but in the war ...
- National Library of South Africa, Cape Town: Special Collections at the NLSA provide one of the leading locations for archival papers across many periods, organisations a... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- Olive Schreiner: Katie Findlay MSC 26/2.14.14:Seymour, July 25 / 79, My dear Katie, I send you a likeness of Mamma which I have had taken. I think you will be glad to have...
- University of Cape Town, Historical Manuscripts: Manuscripts & Archives at the University of Cape Town is a leading location for accessing archival papers across many per... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- Schreiner-Hemming Family BC 1080 A1.7/23:57 Grove Street , July 16 / 91, My darling sister, I was so glad to get your letter this morning. Your joy makes me very happ...
- Schreiner-Hemming Family BC 1080 A1.7/30:Darling Effie, Thanks do much for your letter. I should indeed love to see you all again. I saw Willie Kooper, Maggies boy, y...