"Rebels hard time, house, boy" Read the full letter
Reverend G.A. Martin (in some letters he is referred to as Martain) had formerly been a member of the liberal faction of the Dutch Reformed Church, but resigned his ministry at Aliwal North in 1865 and subsequently farmed at Ratel Hoek near Cradock, where Olive Schreiner was employed as governess to his children between May 1876 and March 1879.
For further information see:
Karel Schoeman (1991) Olive Schreiner: A Woman in South Africa 1855-1881 Johannesburg: Jonathan Ball
- SCCS Edited Extracts: Four groups of edited extracts from Olive Schreiner's letters can be accessed from here, made by her estranged husband Cronwr... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- Olive Schreiner: Extracts of Letters to Cronwright-Schreiner MSC 26/2.16/270:…So poor old Martin went off suddenly! I remember seeing him first when I was five years old at Aliwal North…,
- National Library of South Africa, Cape Town: Special Collections at the NLSA provide one of the leading locations for archival papers across many periods, organisations a... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- Olive Schreiner: Katie Findlay MSC 26/2.14.7:Ganna Hoek , April 5th 1876, My dear Katie!, You owe me ever so many letters, but then I should have written long ago to than...
- Olive Schreiner: Katie Findlay MSC 26/2.14.8:Rattel Hoek , Aug 13th 1876 , My dearest Katie!, Many thanks for your letter which I received last week. I am so glad to hear...
- Olive Schreiner: Katie Findlay MSC 26/2.14.12:Ratel Hoek, May 31st 1878., My dear Katie!, Many thanks for your letter. I thought you had almost forgotten me., I will send ...
- Olive Schreiner: Katie Findlay MSC 26/2.14.13:Ratel Hoek, Jan. 26 / 79., My dear Katie, I have not heard from your for a very long time, but I hope you will not be sorry o...