"Your astonishing letter, family duties, will never mention Katie's name as long as I live" Read the full letter
Sir John Simon
Sir John Simon (1873 - 1954) was a British lawyer and politician. In 1913, he was Attorney-General and then became Home Secretary at the start of the First World War. Although not a pacifist, Simon was opposed to conscription on general libertarian grounds and he resigned in early 1916 when conscription was passed into law. After his resignation, Simon served in the Royal Flying Corps. He failed to be re-elected in 1918 and 1919, around opposition from Lloyd George. His later political career was distinguished
As part of gathering support for Simon’s opposition to the Bill in question, and probably organised by Bertrand Russell, petitions were organised including via a set of ’prominent people’, including Olive Schreiner, meeting withSimon in the House of Commons to make known their opposition to the measure and support for him. A jointly signed letter from them appeared in The Times.
For further information see
D. J. Dutton (2004) ‘Simon, John Allsebrook, first Viscount Simon (1873-1954)’ Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Oxford University Press http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/36098
- Humanities Research Center, University of Texas at Austin: The HRC, Austin, is one of the world leading locations for archival papers pertaining to literary life and manuscripts across... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- HRC/CAT/OS/5b-iv:Dear Havelock , I met Lady Low the other night, had dinner there She was so glad to have met you. , , We are having wonderfu...
- Macfarlane-Muirhead Family: Schreiner’s letters to Robert Muirhead are part of Macfarlane-Muirhead family collection and can be accessed at the Mui... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- MacFarlane-Muirhead/33:30 St Mary Abbotts Terrace, Kensington, Friday, Dear Bob, Thank you for your letter. I wonder what you feel on the cons-cript...
- Newspapers: A collection of letters sent to various newspapers Show/Hide Collection Letters
- The Times, Wednesday 12 January 1916, page 5, column 1:SIR J. SIMON’S SUPPORTERS., ---, LETTER FROM 36 SYMPATHIZERS., The following letter was handed to Sir John Simon last e...