"The baby's holy little life" Read the full letter
Professor and Mrs D G Ritchie
David George Ritchie (1853 - 1903) and his second wife Ellen Sara Haycraft, who he married in 1889, were friends of Schreiners. David Ritchie was a professor of philosophy at Oxford, and later at St Andrews University, Scotland. He was involved in a number of reform causes and for a time a member of the Fabian Society. Ellen Haycraft lectured for the Fabian Society and remained an active member after her husbands resignation. The couple had one son, Arthur. Schreiner knew Ellen Haycraft from the 1880s and makes several references to the Ritchies in her letters. In 1892 when Will Schreiner travelled from South Africa to Britain, Schreiner wrote to him that I enclose a letter for my friend Mrs Ritchie in case you go to Oxford. Shes very brilliant, or used to be before she married. Ive not seen her since. Her husband is a professor.
For further information see:
S. M. den Otter 2004) S. M. den Otter, Ritchie, David George (1853-1903) Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Oxford University Press http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/35763
- Humanities Research Center, University of Texas at Austin: The HRC, Austin, is one of the world leading locations for archival papers pertaining to literary life and manuscripts across... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- HRC/CAT/OS/5a-iii:2, Campden Hill Square, W, Monday , Dear Havelock , I’m so sorry you are not well. I am feeling so ill too I can do not...
- Macfarlane-Muirhead Family: Schreiner’s letters to Robert Muirhead are part of Macfarlane-Muirhead family collection and can be accessed at the Mui... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- MacFarlane-Muirhead/29:c/o Dr Parker, Llandrindod Wells, Wales, Tuesday, Dear Bob,, I’m sorry that so far the invention has not come off. I’...
- University of Cape Town, Historical Manuscripts: Manuscripts & Archives at the University of Cape Town is a leading location for accessing archival papers across many per... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- Olive Schreiner BC16/Box1/Fold1/1892/12:Matjesfontein, Tuesday 13 / 92, My old Will,, I hope when this reaches you you will be settled in the old Man’s study, ...
- Olive Schreiner BC16/Box5/Fold4/Jan-June1915/12:Telephone: 3675 Kensington., Telegrams: Apartment, London., Kensington Palace Mansions & Hotel, De Vere Gardens, W. , Thu...