"City of dreadful night; cut throats, don't mention political news" Read the full letter
Dr Robert Davies Roberts
Robert Davies Roberts (1851 - 1911) was a geologist, Cambridge academic and pioneer in the University Extension movement. From her letters it appears that Schreiner came to know Roberts and his wife Mary during the 1880s; her single extant letter to him is a version from Cronwright-Schreiner’s The Letters, and dates from 1889. Cronwright-Schreiner incorrectly refers to him as ‘Dr King Roberts’.
For further information see:
Edwin Welch (2004) ‘Roberts, Robert Davies (1851-1911)’ Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Oxford University Press http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/35771
- SCCS Edited Extracts: Four groups of edited extracts from Olive Schreiner's letters can be accessed from here, made by her estranged husband Cronwr... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- Letters/346:To Dr. King Roberts., Paris., I went to Notre Dame to-day. Isn't it glorious? It seems to me something I have been looking fo...
- Humanities Research Center, University of Texas at Austin: The HRC, Austin, is one of the world leading locations for archival papers pertaining to literary life and manuscripts across... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- HRC/UNCAT/OS-138:Matjesfontein , Sep Oct 1st 1890 , My Havelock, it was the most beautiful letter you ever sent me. All the MS. has come but t...
- National Library of South Africa, Cape Town: Special Collections at the NLSA provide one of the leading locations for archival papers across many periods, organisations a... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- W.P. Schreiner MSC 27/287:Wagenaars Kraal , Three Sisters , March 26 / 00, Dear Laddy, Thank you for your note, received just now, & the letter of ...
- University of Cape Town, Historical Manuscripts: Manuscripts & Archives at the University of Cape Town is a leading location for accessing archival papers across many per... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- Olive Schreiner BC16/Box11/Fold2/Undated/26:Dear Fan, I’m sending you Will’s to me, in case it should have any news he’s not had time to give you., I’...