"Been to Women's International Federation meeting, woman in street says 'traitor meeting'" Read the full letter
George McCall Theal
George McCall Theal (1837 - 1919) was born in the United States but settled in South Africa as a young man and went on to become a well-known South African historian. Theal published many volumes on South African history and also collected oral history. He is now viewed as writing a version of South African history uncritically in favour of white settlers and presenting black South Africans in a racist and stereotyped way, as ‘savages’ in need of civilizing. However, this seems to have been the result of something of a sea-change in his views, with Schreiner’s letters commenting in disgusted amazement about differences between the original version of his monumental history of South Africa, and a new edition which she found unacceptably retrograde in the views it propounded
For further information see:
Christopher Saunders (1988) The Making of the South African Past: Major Historians on Race and Class Cape Town: David Philip
- Humanities Research Center, University of Texas at Austin: The HRC, Austin, is one of the world leading locations for archival papers pertaining to literary life and manuscripts across... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- HRC/OliveSchreinerUncatLetters/OS-TFisherUnwin/19:Matjesfontein, Sep 25 / 92., Dear Mr Unwin, Thank you for Byzantium. , I couldn’t write the book you mention, it’...
- HRC/OliveSchreinerUncatLetters/OS-TFisherUnwin/21:Matjesfontein, Feb 12 / 93, Thanks much for both letters & enclosures. Thanks for personal letter. It will be a great ple...
- SCCS Edited Extracts: Four groups of edited extracts from Olive Schreiner's letters can be accessed from here, made by her estranged husband Cronwr... Show/Hide Collection Letters
- Olive Schreiner: Extracts of Letters to Cronwright-Schreiner MSC 26/2.16/417:…It is very hot… reading Theal’s History of S. Africa for the second time. I haven’t been able to wor...
- Olive Schreiner: Extracts of Letters to Cronwright-Schreiner MSC 26/2.16/421:…I’ve just re-read for the third time your interesting letter, It’s very interesting about that insect …...